Naomi Wolf, Rush Limbaugh and "The End of America"

Until Tucker Carlson of Fox News resurrected her on this date (Feb 22, 2021) to discuss a book she wrote in 2007, it must have been, what, 5, 10, maybe 15 years since I heard or thought about Naomi Wolf. Ironically, Ms. Wolf originally rose to prominence at a time when Rush Limbaugh was in his meteoric ascendance on Talk Radio, and as I recall he had plenty to say about her "femi-nazi" ways. 


This post is not about Rush Limbaugh, but I do wonder if he read Ms. Wolf's "The End of America: A Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot" and, if so, how he received it when it was written, and if, within the past 14 years, he reflected on what she wrote. I can imagine that many conservatives would have rejected out of hand anything she wrote because of her liberal feminist leanings. At the time, the book probably was written off by many as merely Bush-bashing or conservative hating. But after hearing her on Mr. Carlson's show I purchased the e-book version and immediately started to read it. I have not yet finished it, but suffice it to say that I am only just past the Preface and through Chapter One, and already I am astonished to learn not only that Ms. Wolf and I have a mutual love of country and liberty, we share a visceral and non-partisan disdain for those who would destroy our nation and our personal liberties. While our moral codes might not align perfectly, I think each of us is a full-fledged patriot when it comes to love of this country.

Naomi R. Wolf is an American liberal feminist author, journalist and former political advisor to Al Gore and Bill Clinton. Following her first book The Beauty Myth, she became a leading spokeswoman of what has been described as the third wave of the feminist movement. Wikipedia

I don't expect that I will agree with much, or maybe any, of Ms. Wolf's other writings or points of view, and it is possible that I might want to retract this post after I finish reading the above-referenced book, but one thing I believe we have in common is the conviction that patriotism is neither Red or Blue, nor is fascism. And I, too, thought the Bush administration (I voted for him) opened the door for an even greater future destruction of our liberties post-9/11. Turns out I was right about that. So was Ms. Wolf. 

Ms. Wolf's warning to patriots seems very well-researched and, for the most part, politically unbiased. I want to tell others to "take up and read" Ms. Wolf's book on the ten steps to the destruction of a democracy, but I will squelch that impulse until after I have finished reading it.

Until, then, Live Free or Die, my friends.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joe Biden and The $6B Hostage Payment: It Ain't That Hard

Murdering Babies in Gaza…and in Ohio. A Special Plea to Ohio Mothers.

About "Pride Month"